Print Page  |  Sign In  |  Register
Wellness Equipment
Moderator(s): Leslie Roseboro
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/17/2018 at 4:15:53 PM GMT
Wellness Equipment
What equipment does your community use to assess fall risk, improve balance, increase agility, develop muscle tone and treat a wide variety of pathologies? Where is the equipment located (fitness center or skilled nursing/rehab)? How well is it utilized and are you happy with the purchase?

Last edited Wednesday, September 26, 2018
9/26/2018 at 10:02:38 PM GMT
We have our contract PT’s make those assessments for us.

9/26/2018 at 10:03:14 PM GMT
We cater primarily to IL residents who are therapy patients or exercising independently. Employees also utilize the space. Our equipment is shared with PT and OT.

Minimal equipment is used during balance assessments. The TUG test requires a stop watch, chair, and cone. Patients are assessed while walking the halls, sometimes weaving through cones or yoga blocks. The balance bars are used while assessing balance in different stances on varying surfaces.

Some of the items used for balance, agility, and muscle training include:
Balance Bars- these are a must for therapy and independent practice
Airex pad, wobble board, ½ foam roller, inflatable disc- these are all cost effective, fun, and frequently used
Bosu Ball- fun and frequently used, but takes up a lot of space.
Rebounder- more helpful during therapy than independent practice. Although it is fun, I would not buy one again because of the space requirement and how rarely it is used.
Exercise Balls- cost effective, fun, frequently used
Agility ladder- better for therapy and classes than independent exercise. Tape on the floor could serve the same purpose and is less of a tripping hazard.
Keiser resistance machines- Easy for residents to operate independently and great for those who cannot follow a more complicated routine. Ours use air pressure as resistance which is ideal for this population. Rarely used by therapy.
Dumbbells- Used frequently and a great purchase
Kettlebells- not used by as many participants but they are inexpensive, add variety to a routine, and do not take up much space. I would purchase again
Cardio Equipment includes NuStep machines, treadmills, Cybex Arc Trainers, and recumbent bicycles. All are useful and good purchases but I would prefer an Arc Trainer with the upper body component as an option.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any questions.

9/26/2018 at 10:03:29 PM GMT
We don’t have equipment along this line - - but I’m interested in pursuing it!

9/26/2018 at 10:03:58 PM GMT
Our Independent community has a full size indoor pool where we provide 7 aquatic classes per week with hand/ankle weights and balance boards, a complete fitness center consisting of 2 treadmills, 1 rower, 1 elliptical, 2 NuSteps, 2 recumbent bikes, smith machine, 4-station body solid weight station, 3 tower weight stations, dumbbell rack, weight bench, physio balls, weighted balls and a variety of other fitness equipment such as stretch bands, foam rollers, balance boards as well as a fitness class with instructor provided M-W-F. We also offer a personal weight training instructor available by appointment for personal training and development of individual training programs. In addition to our aquatic and fitness center programs, we offer two step aerobics classes, two yoga classes and currently researching a Tai Chi class. We provide “A Matter Of Balance” 8-week workshop four times a year for our IL residents as well. The assisted living building is attached to the independent building and the AL residents are at liberty to utilize the fitness center and/or fitness classes that are offered. We also have a skilled/rehab/memory care building on our campus. Our rehab team, consisting of PT, OT & ST, utilizes their own therapy gym with various pieces of equipment such as NuStep, treadmill, recumbent bike, weight machines, balance equipment, parallel bars and hand weights. The rehab manager attends daily meetings with our skilled team to review behaviors and falls. They also conduct quarterly screens to all skilled residents to review possible declines and needs for skilled therapy interventions. Our Life Enrichment team at the skilled/rehab building also provide 3 – 4 exercise programs each week that all resident can attend if they wish to do so. We also have a Recreational Therapist on staff with our Life Enrichment Department in our skilled building that works closely with nursing staff to review residents who may be experiencing behavioral issues or falls. As far as the utilization of the fitness center, we have seen an increase in utilization when we renovated and updated the equipment about 2 ½ years ago and the participation in our fitness classes have also seen a growth. I continue to explore new equipment and programming to meet the demands of our ever changing population as a CCRC. Please feel free to let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have. Thanks ~

9/26/2018 at 10:04:15 PM GMT
At this time we offer a Senior Fitness test to all of our clinic patients. These are field tests that asses, strength, flexibility, cardio endurance, agility and balance but, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a machine for balance machine that works with vestibular perception. If someone has a fall in our AL or skilled settings it is followed up with a falls screen done by our Rehab company. I’m curious to hear what other communities use. Thanks.

9/26/2018 at 10:04:26 PM GMT
As far as equipment, we use are balance pads both in our fitness center and in Therapy. We also use a Keiser free standing cable machine.
We are very happy with the equipment.

9/26/2018 at 10:04:43 PM GMT
The fitness team works together with our Physical Therapists group to educate our Residents on fall prevention. We recently had what we called a Balance Carnival. This was held in our large ballroom. Around the room we set up stations specific to balance and assessed participants. This gave everyone a clear perspective as to where they are in regards to balance.
At this event we announced a new class specific to balance. This will be led by our fitness team. We will again asses everyone’s balance with a simple get up and go test and then in 5 weeks test them again. Then we will evaluate our exercises to see if they are helping folks to improve their balance.
I hope this helps,

Sign In

Calendar

9/25/2020 » 12/27/2020
2020 Fall Conference On-Demand

11/6/2020
CEO Roundtable Discussion

LeadingAge NC News
Featured Members